Barton Mutual Insurance Company
Barton Mutual Insurance Company was established in 1894 as a single-county farm fire insurer called the Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Barton County, Missouri. The office was in Liberal, Missouri. Barton Mutual now occupies seven buildings on Main Street and owns the building where the Post Office is located.
Barton assumed management of Cape Mutual Insurance in Cape Girardeau in 1982, and Owensville Mutual Insurance in Owensville was added in 1986 to form the Barton Mutual Group. Both companies were moved to Liberal in 1997 and 1999 respectively. The three companies were merged into one under the name Barton Mutual Insurance Company as of January 1, 2012.
Today, Barton Mutual continues to provide property and casualty coverage throughout the state of Missouri, operating from Main Street in Liberal. More than 550 agency locations in the state function as points of sale for Barton Mutual Insurance.